Saturday, September 6, 2008

One week

Dear friends,

Sorry for the lack of updates this past week. While much has happened, nothing seems too noteworthy for a post so ill just give you some updates on my life.

We started portuguese class. I was placed in the most advanced. Class is really fun we played guess who to practice describing people and have fun little dialogues etc. We have class from 10-12 in the morning. Then I head home for lunch. My mom makes the best food. I always have the most delicious fruit juice (mango, guava, orange, strawberry, tapioca, watermelon, etc or a mixture of any of these). My mom has made great vegetarian meals and is into health food. (She always tells me that this or that is `bem lite´ or ´com zero calorias´so that i can have dessert after). She makes the most amazing cakes (dark chocolate, coconut, almond and chocolate with strawberry) and one day she made me chocolate fondue with fruit. mmmm

2-3 times a week in the afternoon we have Culture class. I have yet to decide what i think about this class. One day we had a lecture on the history of brazil from inception to the republic. and the next class we had the EXACT same chunk of history but from a different guest lecturer. Along with the class we have gone to a capoiera class and a brazilian dance class which have been fun.

Ive spent a lot of time walking around my neighborhood (and the ones nearby) on the drizzly days (but its still warm enough to wear shorts and tanktops). Or spending time at the beach on the sunny ones.

Brazilians continue to impress me with their warm spirits and the carnal desire of the men to take you home. But really, i only have positive things to say about them.

p.s. My mom and i talked (well she did most of the talking) for over an hour after dinner once...Though it doesn~t feel like it, it must mean that my portuguese is getting loads better.

Tomorrow is independence day and there is a parade at nine in the morning so until then tchao!

No comments: