Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Faces of Salvador

I admit, I have not been as good of a photographer as I hoped to be on this trip. Many times I choose to leave my camera at home because of the hassle of carrying it around, and the danger that it brings. Or even when I do bring it with me, I only reluctantly take it out so I don't draw attention to the fact that I am a tourist with a valuable camera. I do think I am being a little overly cautious, but as many of you know, I treat my camera like it was my first born child and if someone stole it/it got damaged, I would be devastated. Not just the value of the camera, but it would be like the loss of a friend.
Anyway, I took most of these pictures at the Favela we visited today in our culture class. Our teacher is very passionate about breaking the stereotypical image of a drug-ridden favela that City of God has given Americans. (For the record, the 'favelas' shown in that movie based in Rio are actually PROJECTS, not favelas).
Favelas are the type of living communities for the majority of the population who cannot climb the ranks to upper-middle class. Favela dwellers come and invade the land and begin to build their home (with the help of other favela dwellers). After three years of inhabiting the space, the land is considered theirs. Also after three years the government provides electricity, running water, and sewage system. Favelas also have the best views in the country. Unlike the US where the rich flock to the hills, here hills are covered in the disjunct little box houses that teeter on the slopes.
The favela we visited today is on a hill right on the edge of the ocean. The views are exquisite as is the breeze that provides a little relief from the scorching sun. The lack of roads (only uneven footpaths and disjoint stairways) in the community makes the entire area very tranquil and free from the bustle of city life. This specific favela is home to many foriegners (Italians, Americans, Germans, Swiss) though the majority are Brazilian. The community is working on this great beautification project of putting up mosaics on their walls.
Here are some of the kids that followed us around--gawking at the spectacle of Americans in their favela. As we, in turn, took out our cameras to gawk back:




Sorry about the underlined--I'm not sure how that happened. And dont forget to click on the photos to enlarge them

No comments: