Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Giant Jesus


We were sitting on the floor around the large square coffee table eating dinner last Sunday. Since our place lacks any dining-room table we gather around this low table every evening (Spanish style at 9pm) for dinner that mom, Dana, and I have cooked. Out in the streets we could hear trumpets and blasting music. You could smell some incense even wafting through our open windows. There is always something going on in Sevilla on the streets, but this sounded pretty important. Mom, of course, had to go check what was happening. We are right on a main artery street that leads to the largest Gothic Cathedral in the world but tucked down a little alley so we can't see the street (or the church) from our windows. Abba, Dana and I continue eating until we hear mom pounding up the stairwell shouting,

"A GIANT JESUS IS COMING!!! A GIANT JESUS IS COMING, you've GOT to come see."

I had just showered and was wearing my PJ's but there was no time to waste. We set down our spoons. Jesus was coming down the street and I wouldn't miss it in a lifetime. I grabbed my camera and was still chewing as we barreled down the stairs, round the corner of the alley and on to the street. I felt a little indecent in my baggy t-shirt and cotton shorts. I hoped Jesus wouldn't judge me; everyone else was wearing their Sunday best. The Spainards are pretty devout people. I guess they, as the Bible tells them, are prepared for Jesus' coming at any moment. The procession was grandiose. People were swinging incense, carrying religious pendants, silver crosses and meter long candles. Alter boys of all ages handed out holy cards. The trumpets boomed in my chest as the symphonic marching band approached. And then past the clouds of incense, I spotted him, life size, riding atop a massive gold float...JESUS. There were flowers and candles adorning the platform that was carried upon the shoulders of 30 large men. You could only see their black shoes shuffling in unison poking out from underneath the float. Jesus' hands reached out to me, his halo sparked in gold in the last fading light of the evening. He wore is heart on his sleeve (or really his chest) as he looked down lovingly upon his followers.

I heard angels singing and the old man next to me threw his cane down and began to walk... Just kidding about that part.

We followed the procession as it continued on down the streets of the town.

1 comment:

Alexis said...

how much of this post was in the cheeky vein, and how much was serious holy feeling and swept up in the moment?
Love, Lex