Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Quiejo


One of my favorite foods here in Brazil is the Queijo. At first sight, one may seem a little skeptical. It is a narrow block of white cheese (with small holes) skewered onto a stick. The queijo is sprinkled with oregano and slowly roasted over a small pot of hot coals. When I first saw them selling this on the beach, I was like WHO would buy hot cheese (that has not been refridgerated) on a scorching hot day. But now, I cannot make a trip to the beach without getting some. As each side toasts a light brown, the delicous smell wafts towards you. mmm! The final touch to the oregano-toasted-cheese is a light drizzle of honey. Strange? No, its delicious!

5 comments:

ranibythesea said...

d- that sounds disgusting, and just like you! i think you should eat it with an apple!

love you and miss you
rani

Danielinha said...

I actually think you would love it. You love eating mozzarella cheese. And I think I have yet to meet a person who doesnt like it.

Leza Nazaroff said...

Hello, Danz! It is so nice to hear you are enjoying your time in Brazil! As, I mentioned to your mom, "experience as much fun as you can." Of course, FUN, is a defined differently to each person, (create YOUR fun memories in Brazil) As, Josh, put it, he worked his butt off the first two years, with the overload of units, so, in Italy, he took the minimum units to enjoy his life immersed in the culture there. You, too, sound, as if you are experiencing the same. What an opportunity to fellowship with other students, and citizens of the country. PLEASE, please, take your "friend" (camera) along with you to capture visual memories to share with others and be able to look back on...take the risk! Cameras, are replaceable, photos are NOT!
Have fun, laugh alot, and create memories with your life's experiences!
Love to you!
Auntie Leza

Alexis said...

So in my experience hot cheese is dangerous. It was hot cheese with which I burned my mouth so badly at the beginning of this summer so that I couldn't talk for 3 days.

Thus, I know you've been given way to many warnings about being safe in Brazil; always travel in groups, don't go to this neighborhood etc. But I think my warning is really the most important. Blow on that hot cheese and wait for it to cool before you eat it.

Love you super super super much.
Lex

kriddOh said...

that looks amazing...i am such a loser at being a vegan...cheese is my favorite food in the whole world tooo hahhha