Saturday, October 4, 2008

O Poder Mudou

I have seen this ad many times around the city. It is part of the advertising campaign for an old newspaper that is changing its make and look. The line reads "O Poder Mudou" which means "The Power has Changed." It sends a pretty bold message about our country. The fact that people across the world recognize Obama (who is not even President (yet)) as an agent of change is impressive. And the fact that is phrased in the passed tense--while may be appropriate for the newspaper--makes it seem that the world is confident that we will elect him. And despite how many countries we have razed on the international level, they are willing and ready to give us a second (or maybe thousandth) chance. If Obama is bringing hope to Brazilians...wow.

There is one month until elections and I still haven't received my absentee ballot stuff here, but I heard rumor that I can vote at some consulate within two weeks of election day. This is going down in history books, so be sure to play your part and VOTE!

P.S. Tomorrow is election day here in Brazil. Voting is mandatory. (Wouldn't that create a different campaign strategy?) How do they enforce it? Since in order to get any job, you have to pass a test, if you skipped out on voting you cannot take the test, and thus not get employed.

P.P.S. Tomorrow is my birthday so if you feel like sending me a birthday email, I would love it!

2 comments:

Leza Nazaroff said...

Greetings, Sweet, Daniela!
meemeemeeemeeeemeee....
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday, Dear Danielaaaaaaa,
Happy Birthday to YOU!
and, MANY MORRRRRE!!!
Na-Zdarovya!
Love you,
Auntie Leza and family

Danielinha said...

Thank YOU!!!! I while I did get a birthday cake we didn't sing so THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!1!