Thursday, August 28, 2008

Arriving in Brazil

Brazil is the combination of every country I have ever visited/imagined. As we drove in a Taxi from the airport, the open street shops (slightly run down, with white painted cement and various random posters) reminded me of the streets of Nicaragua or Mexico. The traffic laws however, remind me more of China (where two cars share one lane side by side) and the bustling feel of the dense population reminds me of Shanghai as well. Once we reached the ocean, i am sure that this is what Cuba is supposed to look like--the most gorgeous expanse of turquoise water streaches out and perfect white waves crash on small sandy beaches. The tropical laid back feel and the carribean music (which I didnt actually hear, but can clearly imagine). The large grassy feilds that scatter the highway where dark skinny boys play impromptu soccer is exactly how I imagine parts of africa. There are also large Pracas (squares) that litter the city which remind me of large Russian Parks in Moscow.

Anyway, Salvador (the part that I have explored thus far), has very few tourists and Portuguese is the ONLY language spoken. My portuguese is severely limited but far more advanced than anyone else's on the program so of course I have been enjoying trying to communicate. The people here are very friendly and love to carry the conversation on even though it is evident no one understands. I foresee my Portuguese improved by leaps and bounds in a very short amount of time.

I have only been here less than 12 hours and already much has transpired...but I'll leave that for another day. Tomorrow I get to meet my host family and move in with them.

1 comment:

ranibythesea said...

congrats dans...you made it!! im not surprised that your language skills are by far the best, thats just the way it is in our family!

cant wait to hear about your host family...let me know when you start dancing to the street drummers!
love ya
~rani