Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Bay to Breakers


This weekend was the 100th anniversary of the San Francisco legendary Bay to Breakers. Despite living in the bay area almost all my life this was my first time attending this 'race.' I would describe it more as a parade of ingenious costumes (and occasionally lack thereof). My friends and I went as 'vehicles.' We fashioned cars out of cardboard boxes (and one boat) and wore them over our shoulders.

The weather threatened thunderstorms, but luckily the only rain we experienced was the sudden downpour right as we were boarding BART to SF. Kan ironically pointed out if the weather stayed nasty at least, "We were in cars." But the clouds cleared and later in the day the sun came out and I stripped down to my t-shirt. (The rain has come full force this week making my bike-commute less than pleasant...and I thought summer was near).

They close the roads on a 12km stretch from the embarcadero (bay) to the farthest west edge of golden gate park (breakers). We walked a couple of the miles in the middle section. In the top picture we were walking back to Bart and saw a bug stuck in traffic, I just had to pose with it.

Here is the group of vehicles--Pickup truck, Taxi, VW Bug, Party Bus, Boat, Firetruck

1 comment:

janett said...

you guys did an amazing job with your cardboard cars can u give me advice/suggestions on how to make them? im trying to make some for my grandson birthday and use them as a race game for the kids since its going to be a vw race theme.