Sunday, November 23, 2008

Zoo

Today I walked to the zoo to clear my mind. It is a great hour walk along the coast and there was a nice breeze so it wasn't too hot. I ran into Edison my favorite jewelery vendor along the way. He immediately cheered my mood. The Zoo also picked up my spirits. I was prepared for very dreary conditions for the animals but the park was very lush and green and not depressing. Though, I'll admit many of the animals were living in some very small spaces. Especially the bigger non-Brazilian animals. The jaguar, for example, was in a cage the size of half of my dorm room. But the jacare (small brazilian alligator) was in this huge swampy space that had a lot of vegetation. There were tons of types of monkeys and some great parrots. There was a hippo and some small bears. All the animals were SUPER active. The monkeys play fought and ate, the jaguar paced, the birds preened and flew,the bears climbed around,the baby warthogs nursed while others rolled in mud, even the tortoises were walking around hither thither. It seemed as though the animals hold the same sort of Brazilian life mentality...Even though life is extremely hard, only God can improve it, so they take time to find pleasure in life and are always good-spirited and enjoying it. (This is completely contrasted to the American mentality which is, you has the power to improve your life so you are constantly analyzing life critically and fighting for change, and you have this negative energy about life's shortcomings and can never relax and enjoy).

Anyway here are some pictures from the afternoon
Salvador's Jesus Statue

Speaking of cultural differences--check out this cannon of beauty as compared to the USA


The pacing Jaguar

Macacos!

Its tito!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan,
I picture your walk down to the zoo... Interesting observation on the Brazilian attitude to life. Wow.
love, MOM

Danielinha said...

The Brazilian attitude on life we talked about once in Portuguese class with my teacher. So it isn't just my idea, but you can see it in action everywhere.

Richard Hamann said...

Hi Danielinha, this is your uncle Richard. I have been following your Brazilian experience through your blogs, makes me feel like I am seeing Brazil myself through your eyes!

Although I was never there, I studied Brazilian history and Portuguese while at UCLA (majored in Latin American Studies). I thought (incorrectly), that learning Portuguese would be a snap since I already knew Spanish. Boy was I wrong! I think Portuguese is more like a mix of French and German than Spanish. It seems that you are picking it up quite well!

I am familiar with Brazilian history and was particularly interested in the Quilombos that sprang up. While at UCLA, I watched a film called "Quilombo" that showed how the slaves heard stories of the place, and it gave them the hope that if they could escape into the forest, they would come to a land that was just like their former African home where they could be free. That encouraged many to run away and join the Quilombo. Like you mentioned, the Quilombos were independent states, they traded with the Dutch to the north, defended themselves with armies against the Brazilian authorities, and were not defeated until after the independence of Brazil.

Keep on posting, I think you are having a great adventure. Thanks for sharing it with us, it's the next best thing to being there!

Uncle Richard

Unknown said...

Dear Daniella, It was much fun reading your blog. First time I ever read one.. You are an amazing woman, writer and photographer. You seem equally comfortable in luxury or poverty. You are an inspiration. Can't wait to see you in December. Nikki says you are back for a little while. I already bought the cake mix and frosting. Be safe, and I know I don't have to tell you CARPE DIEM!!!!!!!!!!! love Cynthia